Sunday, January 18, 2009

Windows 7, mmmmm. (I'm not a traitor, i swear!)

I'm not a traitor. I bashed Vista at every opportunity. It was like that geeky kid at school that tries too hard to be "one of the group" and ends up embarassing himself. Getting picked on constantly because he thinks he's "cool", but really, you're a dumbfuck. Thats how i felt about Vista. I've had more than my fair share of insults and rantings about Vista. Yet, i've always refused to touch the OS. After my XP SP2 went sour, i got onto Linux which turned out to be great, but lacked a couple of things i needed. But thats another story, and the bottom line is i came crawling back to the hate/love relationship with XP (now on my SP3). Vista had turned out to be worse, so i avoided it like the plague. I have used it though (i can count on one hand the amount of times) but only to help out a n00b getting a network set up or something.

But i think i might change my mind about Windows now that i've managed to get 7 up and running. My experience so far has been suprisingly easy and smooth. Although MS said you need a minimum of 1GB RAM, i made a virtual machine with 700MB RAM, 32MB Video, and a 17GB virtual hard drive. Amazingly, the OS installed flawlessly on the first run and i havent had a problem since then. Although i only use it now and again, im still not confident enough to install on my actual laptop. But i am contemplating......I have a "lab rat" on the sofa with about 512MB RAM (apparently enough to get the OS working. *shock*) and everything else i need to get 7 up and running. Its tempting. The only thing holding me back is the shoddy DVD drive which might deny me access.

First thing i noticed was the KDE like taskbar. When i got into using it, i actually relized its more of a cross between the KDE taskbar and the dock in OS X. Funny, but a nice touch. Windows did need something a little different in that area i think. Mac and Linux have docks and Windows was still playing with the tabbed sorta taskbar? But so far the OS seems to run smoothly, even on a virtual machine. If my lab rat decides to behave so i can install the OS as a host, we'll see what its really all about. I think i can see the beginning of a new friendship :)

Screenshots so far (only 2 for now sorry. more soon when i got time)

blog comments powered by Disqus

My DeviantArt